Every car in the UK needs an MOT test yearly when the car reaches 3 years of age. Before the MOT you need to do a pre MOT check. It is a good idea to check some of the things yourself, and an even better idea to let a workshop check your car.
An MOT involves dozens of checks on your car, ranging from the brakes and fuel system to lights, mirrors, seatbelts, windscreen wipers and exhaust system. It doesn’t cover the condition of the engine, clutch and gearbox.
With the cost of an MOT capped at nearly £55 it’s definitely worth checking what you can do to avoid a re-test. We have put together a few key points that could save you money for the sake of 10 minutes of your time. All these bits you can do yourself and even if it needs fixing it is far cheaper than the garage doing it.
- Check your Wiper blades work.
- Check your Washer jets work.
- Make sure your horn works effectively.
- Check the handbrake only pulls up 3-4 clicks.
- Inspect your windscreen from inside and outside for any damage.
- You need to check under your bonnet for all fluids are at the correct level.